A senior White House official with a violent past resigned Wednesday amid allegations he abused his two ex-wives.
Staff secretary Rob Porter, who worked closely with chief of staff John Kelly to control the paper flow to President Trumps desk, will step down, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said.
The allegations against Porter by his ex-wives were first reported by Dailymail.com as the site also reported that he was dating Trump communications director Hope Hicks.
Colbie Holderness, Porters first wife, provided The Intercept with a 2005 photo showing a bruised right eye, which she alleged was from a punch thrown by the 38-year-old White House staffer.
Casino mogul Steve Wynn resigns from Wynn Resorts
His second wife said she filed and received an emergency protective order against Porter.
Holderness photo and other evidence was provided to the FBi as they conducted a background check on Porter related to his security clearance at the White House, according to The Intercept.
His second wife, Jennifer Willoughby, also confirmed a blog post she wrote last year that detailed her abusive relationship without naming Porter.
Porter blamed Holderness for his abuse of his second, according to Willoughby.
Lululemon announces CEOs resignation, citing misconduct
In the first weeks and months, his explanation for his anger was that his first marriage had been very toxic, rooted in arguments, accusations and manipulation and he was carrying over from that relationship, she told the Daily Mail. He would say that he was so used to being treated this way by his ex-wife that he was projecting that on to me. That was the explanation.
Porter once dragged Willoughby naked from a shower by the shoulders and yelled at her, she claims.
But Porters former spouse said that she believes his issues are personal and intimate and would not have any ill effect on his job performance.
Porter denied the allegations of abuse in a statement detailing his departure.
Humane Society keeps CEO despite sexual misconduct claims
These outrageous allegations are simply false. I took the photos given to the media nearly 15 years ago and the reality behind them is nowhere close to what is being described, Porter said in a statement read by Sanders. I have been transparent and truthful about these vile claims, but I will not further engage publicly with a coordinated smear campaign.
Kelly and others in the West Wing encouraged Porter to stay on at the White House, according to the Washington Post.
My commitment to public service speaks for itself, Porter said. I have always put duty to country first and treated others with respect. I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to have served in the Trump Administration and will seek to ensure a smooth transition when I leave the White House.