Wed. Jun 3rd, 2020

The Informer

Place where all voices matter

Georgia authorities re-examining December arrest of Desmond Marrow after arrest video surfaces

2 min read

The lawyer for Desmond Marrow wants the charges against the ex-NFL player dropped, as Georgia authorities promise to take a fresh look at his December arrest.

Footage of the Dec. 2 arrest went viral over the weekend, seemingly showing Marrow lose consciousness in a scuffle with police, in which his head is slammed into the back of a truck.

No resistance. No struggle, a lawyer for Marrow said at Tabernacle of Praise Church in McDonough, Ga., Monday morning, according to video posted by a local reporter. And then the next thing you see is Desmond being flipped … screaming for his life and choked until hes unconscious. That is unconscionable in our United States of America.

Marrow, who previously playedfor the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Houston Texans, was heard telling officers: Im not even fighting back.

Video shows cops slamming ex-pro football player to the ground

Once the then-29-year-old football player is on the ground, a Henry County police officer puts his arm on Marrows throat.

“I can’t breathe,” he tells the officers.

Henry County Police Chief Mark Amerman said the video raises “serious concerns.”

“Over the course of this investigation, there was an initial use of force investigation, Amerman said during a press conference Monday. Sometime after that, I found new facts that disturbed me greatly. Thats why I ordered the investigation.”

Activists plan Waffle House walkout to protest Alabama arrest

Amerman said his department is checking dash cam footage and additional cell phone video in order to get a comprehensive view of what happened.

A police report, obtained by CBS affiliate WMAZ, claimed Marrow started following a car after someone in the vehicle threw a cup of coffee at him.

A cop followed the two cars to a parking lot in McDonough, located outside of Atlanta, where Marrow was in a heated argument with the other car. A witness, according to WMAZ, heard the former defensive back threaten he was going to shoot them.

Marrow told the Daily News last week half of the four felonies he was charged with were later dropped.

In social media videos of his church appearance Monday, Marrow explained why he waited nearly five months to release the video.

I had to be quiet because I had four felonies, he told the crowd. Im actually a calm person in the way my parents raised me.

With News Wire Services